Youth Philanthropy Project
Now until June 15, 2018!
Youth Philanthropy Project is designed to help high school students develop personal and professional skills needed by the next generation of community leaders. With staff support, students form a leadership committee to review grant proposals and make funding decisions. They learn about local issues affecting Whatcom County and distribute funding that benefits environmentally focused organizations.
Funding for youth grant making comes from an endowment started by two high school seniors who biked more than 1,200 miles around Washington State to raise funds intended to introduce youth in our community to the concept of charitable giving.
Together they raised $14,324.31 and gifted it to the Whatcom Community Foundation to start an endowment for youth philanthropy focused on the environment.
As of May 2018, youth philanthropy committee members helped grow the permanent endowment to over $50,000 and awarded grants totaling $40,000 to support seventeen local projects.
Next Generation Philanthropy
Click here for the 2018 list of funded projects. YPP Awards-Listings 2018
Past projects include: YPP Award Listing.2017
Funding decisions are made by the youth philanthropy committee in February with grants awarded in March.
Application for the Committee are accepted in the Spring and Fall until all spots are filled.
The program runs from February – April. Members meet weekly with a facilitator/coach who support their work. Grant applications are accepted in January. Funding decisions will be made by the youth philanthropy committee in March.
Youth Philanthropy Project:
- Develops soft skills such as; leadership, public speaking, critical thinking and decision making
- Expands nonprofit development skills including; fundraising techniques, budget analysis, grant making review process
- Fosters interest in supporting nonprofits in the future- generates a philanthropic nature
- Builds student confidence – knowing they have the ability to make an impact
- Encourages teamwork while building consensus with a diverse community of student leaders
- Engages 10-15 high school students from Whatcom County.
- This program runs from January – March with members meeting an average of six times.
To learn more about this program contact Pamela at 360.671.6463 or email @ firstname.lastname@example.org
The Youth Philanthropy Project continues to grow thanks to donors like you.