We are looking for a Senior Staff Assistant to join our dynamic team!
Could this job be a good fit for you? If your answer to the following questions is ‘yes’ – it just might be!
· Do you flourish in a dynamic, fast-paced environment? We’re looking for someone who can be focused, well-organized and productive in the midst of lots of activity.
· Is doing important work with excellence in partnership with a team that shares your passion for everyone and everything in Whatcom County its own reward? There is lots of love and appreciation to go around. We just want to know that you’re motivated to do everything you do well and with attention to detail.
· Are you a curious problem-solver? Curiosity is one of our core values and we are relentless in our pursuit of ways to be a worthy community partner so that Everyone Who Lives Here Thrives. We need someone who sees room for learning and improvement with the ingenuity to help us do what we do better.
PURPOSE: Provide a high level of organization and outstanding support to a dynamic and fast-paced team.
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
This position is full-time, exempt salary.
RESPONSIBILITIES: This position is responsible for a variety of recurring, emergent and ad-hoc projects and tasks to help create a welcoming, efficient and productive organization. Key elements of the job include the following with approximate time allocation:
CEO & Board Support (35%)
· Support the CEO with scheduling, meeting preparation and logistics, with special emphasis on Board meeting and Board committee meeting preparation and follow-up
· Support the Board, Board committees and task forces with logistics, record keeping and compliance, including notetaking at meetings
· Develop a detailed knowledge of our work to successfully connect guests with the right staff member or community partner. Serve as an ambassador for our work
· Stay up to date on local nonprofit community resources, opportunities and contacts.
· Answer all donor, grantee, Board, staff, vendor and community communication/correspondence with care to provide superior accuracy, as well as thoughtful and timely responses
· Compile and track a variety of statistical information for staff, funders, community and the Board
· Listen carefully and follow direction well. Be aware of what needs to be done to further our work
· Be enthusiastic about helping without being asked
Office & Meeting Management (30%)
· Open and close the office each working day
· Warmly welcome and respond to guests who call, visit or email, and foster a culture of radical hospitality
· Maintain a functional, safe, clean and efficient office environment
· Proactively identify needs for improvement in the office and make recommendations as needed
· Support the team with scheduling meetings, meeting preparation and logistics
· Support the team with mailings, data entry and management, project oversight, updating materials and information, light cleaning, budgeting for and ordering supplies, organizing and managing files, correspondence, maintaining documents, generating reports from data systems, minute-taking and other related administrative tasks
· Work with Whatcom Center for Philanthropy suite-mates to proactively monitor office, conference room, kitchen and building, janitorial services, supplies and equipment needs and independently or collaboratively remedy issues as appropriate
· Serve as our contact person for the Whatcom Center for Philanthropy to promote and implement conference room reservation system, including assigning access codes and provide media technical support
· Coordinate with technical support of staff and vendors regarding systems and office equipment
· Serve as backup person for online security system maintenance and troubleshooting
· Bring a positive, upbeat, self-starting, and can-do attitude to your work
Project & Data Management (20%)
· Manage projects including developing a scope of work/project plan, and working with the team to determine tasks, deadlines, budget and responsibilities to ensure projects are completed successfully
· Assist with marketing and communications for special events and programs, including newsletters, internal and external website updates: www.whatcomcf.org, www.whatcomcenterforphilanthropy.org and other program websites as needed, and intranet site
· Assist with grant application and scholarship application process as needed
· Proactively ensure the accuracy and quality of information (data integrity), including regular data maintenance, such as de-duping, correcting data entry, ensuring format consistency, timely data synchronizing, back-up and troubleshooting data issues
Event Management (10%)
· Support the team with event planning and management throughout the year
· Maintain detailed knowledge of our work and collaborative events
Commitment to Equity & Other (5%)
· Offer a personal interest and commitment to working in a diverse and inclusive work environment that places a high value on equity
· Participate in promoting a positive workplace culture of collaboration, innovation, and respect Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment
· Engage in equity trainings and serve on related work groups as needed
We seek no single set of qualifications or experiences, as we appreciate that there are many paths to this opportunity.
In order to excel in this position, you must be:
· Able to build relationships and comfortable starting conversations. (Genuine, trusted relationships are the core of our work.)
· Adept at organizing and planning to create a highly productive and efficient office
· Able to engage with a variety of people: interact respectfully and effectively with people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, genders, gender identities, abilities and socio-economic backgrounds; and have an awareness of your own cultural worldview and its impact on your perspective
· An outstanding communicator, with strong spelling, grammar, editing and proofreading skills; able to write well for both digital and print media
· Able to rapidly incorporate new tools and systems into your working practice and teach others to use them
· A strong strategic thinker able to coordinate multiple projects, sweat the details and manage ambiguity with grace and good humor
· Clear in setting expectations and committed to completing projects in a timely manner
· Highly collaborative: philanthropy is a team sport and we value flexible, adaptable people who can play many roles
· Curious and confident; you will need to generate and test new ideas and drive through rapid cycles of action, reflection and learning
· Passionate about our mission and culture, and courageous enough to join us in constructively striving to be a better neighbor and partner
· Willing to take initiative, anticipate next steps, identify opportunities and potential pitfalls, determine actions to resolve issues using good judgement to keep work moving forward
· Able to provide creative input
· Highly ethical and honest, applying ethical standards of behavior to daily work activities
· Able to analyze, synthesize, integrate and operationalize.
· Able to anticipate needs and next steps when sufficient context and information is available
· Experienced in customer service
· Experienced in administrative support or office management
· High proficiency with Microsoft Office
· High proficiency with Adobe products
· Experienced in and knowledge of philanthropy, nonprofits and/or finance.
· Experienced managing complex data and/or customer relationship management systems
· Experienced with cloud-based systems
· Basic understanding of website and Facebook design elements and function / general knowledge of various social media platforms
· Familiar with online collaboration and scheduling tools
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The annual compensation for this full-time, exempt position includes a package of benefits including medical, vision, dental, vacation and retirement (vested after 1 year). Salary range is $40,000-50,000 annually depending on experience. Hours include some evening and weekend work.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please use this form to submit your cover letter and resume. Application review will begin on March 16th and the position will remain open until filled. If you have any questions, please contact Alexandrea Spaulding (firstname.lastname@example.org)